Art Omi: Writers, Translation Lab 2020
Applications for the 2020 Translation Lab are currently open. Application instructions below.
Residency Dates: November 5-16, 2019
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
Art Omi: Writers is now seeking proposals for Translation Lab 2020, a two-week special, intensive residency for four collaborating writer-translator teams in the fall of 2020.
Art Omi: Writers will host four English language translators in New York's Hudson Valley for two weeks. These translators will be invited along with the writers whose work is being translated into English. All text-based projects—fiction, nonfiction, theater, film, poetry, etc.—are eligible.
This focused residency will provide an integral stage of refinement, allowing translators to dialogue with the writers about text-specific questions. It will also serve as an essential community-builder for English-language translators who are working to increase the amount of international literature available to English-language readers.
The dates for Translation Lab 2020 are November 5-19, 2020. All residencies are fully funded including: airfare, train transportation from New York City to the Art Omi campus, and local car transportation.
Please note: accepted applicants must be available for the duration of the Translation Lab (November 5-19, 2020). Late arrivals and early departures are not possible. Please do not submit a proposal unless both parties involved (translator and writer) are available for all dates.
Art Omi: Writers will be accepting proposals for participation until July 15, 2020. Translators, writers, editors, or agents can submit proposals. Each proposal should be no more than three pages and provide the following information:
- Names of the translator and writer applying, as well as contact information (physical address, email, and phone) and the original language of the text. These details should be provided at the very top of the proposal.
- Brief biographical sketches for the translator and writer
- A description of the proposed project, including details about how you envision structuring your working time together
- Publishing status for the proposed project (projects that do not yet have a publisher are eligible)
- If sample pages of the English translation are available you may include them (no more than 25 pages) though this is not required
Please be sure that all of the requested materials are assembled in a single document (PDF or Word) and provided in the order that they are enumerated here. Proposals should be submitted only once availability for residency participation of the translator and writer has been confirmed. All proposals and inquiries should be sent directly to DW Gibson, director of Art Omi: Writers at: