It is with gratitude and humility that Art Omi acknowledges that we are learning, speaking, and gathering on the ancestral homelands of the Mohican people who are the Indigenous peoples of this land.
Despite tremendous hardship in being forced from here, today their community resides in Wisconsin and is known as the Stockbridge-Munsee Community. We pay honor and respect to their ancestors past and present as we commit to building a more inclusive and equitable space for all.
Knowing that we are on the land of the Mohican compels us to take action beyond land acknowledgment. We continue to learn and to explore ways to create change, build meaningful relationships, and work towards a more just and thriving future.
Art Omi is committed to taking action, beginning with the following:
- Delivering a land acknowledgement at all programs and events.
- Establishing and maintaining a long-term partnership with the Stockbridge Munsee Community that, above all, seeks to benefit its peoples and initiatives. This includes learning more about contemporary Mohican art and culture.
- Inviting visitors and participants in our programming to reflect on this acknowledgment and explore ways in which to make a personal commitment and/or contribution to supporting the work of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community: “Knowing that we are on the land of the Mohican compels me to…”
Resources to learn more:
- Stockbridge-Munsee Community website
- Fact sheet created by the Stockbridge-Munsee Community
- Resource Guide, including a list of actions you can take to support the work of the Stockbridge-Munsee Community