Art Omi is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity employment for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical ability or disability.
Art Omi is seeking a part-time Registrar to join our team. Working under the supervision of the Senior Curator and Architecture Curator, this position is responsible for all aspects of collection management for Art Omi’s past and current work on view.
Major Areas of Responsibility
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the transport of artworks to and from Art Omi including shipping, insurance, packing, storage, and related logistics for 3-4 gallery exhibitions and 4-5 major outdoor installations each year;
- Advise on proper packing, care, maintenance, and installation for artworks, and liaise with shippers, lenders, and art handlers;
- Monitor the condition and create condition reports for all current works on view;
- Draft and review agreements with artists, lenders, and outside vendors related to the production and installation of new works;
- Organize and manage exhibition files, archiving all records and documentation for past, present, and upcoming projects;
- Maintain fine arts insurance for collection as well as for incoming and outgoing loans.
Skills and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum 3 years experience as registrar in a museum or gallery. Background in outdoor sculpture and installations preferred;
- Familiar with domestic and international shipping standards and requirements;
- Knowledgeable of best practices for the care and conservation of artworks, and for drafting condition reports;
- Demonstrated experience in file management and budgeting;
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and proactive about creating and implementing systems for work;
- Superior communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Attention to detail and professionalism in all work and written correspondence (both internal and external);
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing priorities;
- Ability to work collaboratively in team-oriented environment;
- Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and collections management software;
- Demonstrated interest in contemporary art and architecture.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Please use your cover letter to tell us about your interest in the arts and what you hope to bring to this role.
This is an hourly position, with an expected average of 16 hours a week annually, which may fluctuate based on projects, and with an opportunity to conduct some work remotely. Work takes place indoors and outdoors, encompassing typical professional office operations and equipment and in Art Omi’s Sculpture & Architecture Park. This position is within a fast-paced, energetic, environment with long stationary periods.
Art Omi is committed to maintaining an equitable, healthy work environment and upholds a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, sex, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, physical ability or disability. People from historically marginalized communities are encouraged to apply.
Covid-19 Vaccination Requirements:
Art Omi is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of our staff and the community at large. Therefore, we require all employees to provide proof of full vaccination for the prevention of COVID-19 at the time of hiring. Full vaccination is defined as:
- Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech - a 2-shot vaccination series PLUS a booster 180 days (6 months) after completing the primary vaccination series; or
- Johnson & Johnson/Janssen - a J & J/Janssen vaccination PLUS a Moderna or Pfizer booster 60 days (2 months) after completing the primary vaccination.
Requests for reasonable accommodation will be considered and decided on a case-by-case basis according to New York State and Federal Law. For information on finding a COVID-19 vaccine near you, please visit vaccines.gov.
Art Omi provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information. In addition to federal law requirements, Art Omi complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Schedule & Compensation
This is an hourly position, with a rate of $30/hour. This is an hourly position, with an expected average of 16 hours a week annually. This may fluctuate based on projects.
- Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: Registrar).
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We will confirm receipt of all applications, but please note that only those candidates selected for interviews will be personally contacted. No phone calls, please.
About Art Omi
Since its founding in 1992, Art Omi has supported international artists across disciplines, serving as a lab space that nurtures and commissions forward-thinking projects in nascent stages of development and catalyzes expanded contexts for significant works due for critical reappraisal. A non-profit arts organization in the Hudson Valley, Art Omi features a 120-acre Sculpture & Architecture Park with more than sixty works in a bucolic setting of rolling farmlands, wetlands, and wooded grounds, and residency programs for international artists, writers, translators, musicians, architects, and dancers. Art Omi is free to all, and our grounds are open from dawn to dusk every day. In 2008, Art Omi opened the Charles B. Benenson Visitors Center, the first public LEED-certified building in the county with a green roof and a 1,500-square foot gallery, where 3-4 exhibitions are presented each year.
Art Omi: Education has a variety of volunteer opportunities coming up in 2023 for students ages 14+.
These are not paid positions.
- Join us as a helper during our Saturday Kids' Workshops. Students must commit to a minimum of four consecutive Saturdays. Hours are 9:30AM - 12:15PM.
- Become a helper during Winter or Spring Art Camp. Winter Art Camp runs February 20 - 24 and Spring Art Camp runs April 10 - 14. Hours are 8:30AM - 3:30PM.
- Become a beloved Camp Omi volunteer! Students must commit to a minimum of 2 consecutive weeks. Hours are 8:30AM - 3:30PM. We will begin accepting applications for Camp Omi 2023 on March 1.
- Help out during Education events. Dates/times vary.
To apply to volunteer for any of the above programs, please email a letter of interest to Sasha Sicurella, Art Omi: Education Director, email@example.com. In your email, include the following:
- Your name and birthdate.
- Why you would like to volunteer with us.
- Any experience you have had with children.
- Your interests and hobbies, especially those related to the arts.